Employment – Discrimination in the Workplace
Discrimination in the Workplace Solicitors for Limerick, Dublin & Across Ireland
At Hogan Dowling McNamara Solicitors LLP, we understand how difficult it can be to face discrimination in the workplace. We can help. Our experienced employment lawyers can provide specialist advice and representation concerning equality, discrimination and equal status.
To discuss your specific circumstances in strictest confidence with a member of our team, call us today on 061 501100 or complete online enquiry form with brief details and we will get back to you right away.
What is discrimination in the workplace?
Discrimination is set out in the Employment Equality Acts 1998 -2015 which provides that where an employee is treated less favourably due to one of nine protected characteristics, such treatment will amount to discrimination.
Every year, many employees face discrimination on the grounds of certain characteristics which are protected in law. If you have suffered discrimination of any type in the workplace, we can help you to bring a claim against your employer to enforce your rights. We understand how daunting this may seem, so we will explain everything to you clearly and concisely, and keep you updated at every stage. We are here to help you move forward in your working life.
What are the nine protected characteristics in Ireland?
At present, there are nine protected characteristics, and no worker must suffer discrimination on the basis of these characteristics. These are:
- Civil status. This means whether you are single, married, divorced, separated, widowed people, or in a civil partnership or former civil partnership.
- Disability. Disability covers physical disabilities, learning, emotional or cognitive disabilities as well as a range of medical conditions.
- Family status. Family status is in reference to a parent of a person under 18, the resident primary carer of a person with a disability, or the parent of a person with a disability.
- Gender: this means man, woman or transsexual
- Membership of the Traveller community.
- Race, which can include skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin
- Religion which refers to religious belief, background, outlook or holding no religion or faith
- Sexual orientation
How can Hogan Dowling McNamara help with discrimination in the workplace?
We can provide expert advice and assistance with matters related to discrimination. We can help you with discrimination matters related to:
- Equal pay cases
- Disability – employers must ensure equal access to employment, training, and promotion opportunities. They must also make reasonable adjustments for those with a disability.
- Harassment – Your employer must prevent harassment or bullying in the workplace where this takes place on the grounds of a protected characteristic
This list is not exhaustive, and if you feel you are being discriminated against in the workplace, you can speak to us for advice today.
Contact Hogan Dowling McNamara Discrimination Lawyers, for Limerick, Dublin & Across Ireland
If you need advice concerning an employment law matter, we can help. Hogan Dowling McNamara Solicitors LLP is conveniently located at Castletroy House, Dublin Road, Limerick with plenty of off-street parking. Please contact us by phone at 061 501100, email our reception at [email protected] or get a call back by completing our Contact form so we can provide you with further information or advice.
* In contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement